Meet the 2014-2015
Scholastic News Kids Press Corps
Our 32 student reporters, who hail from 20 states across the country—with international correspondents in Puerto Rico, the Phillippines, and Thailand—report “news for kids, by kids.” Sports, politics, and entertainment are among the topics they cover.
Gabriel Ferris lives in Maine and was born in 2001.
- Gabriel is a member of the Student Council at his school.
- He is also on the track & field team.
- The person who has most inspired Gabriel is pilot Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger.
- Gabriel would like to pursue a career in investigative reporting.
“I enjoy the excitement of unearthing stories that young adults might enjoy and will possibly benefit from.”
Madison Medina lives in New York and was born in 2000.
- Madison’s favorite subject is Math.
- Her favorite book is The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
- In her spare time, Madison likes to take photographs and make videos.
- She’d like to work for Google someday.
“It’s only right to take risks without worrying what others may think of you.”
Adedayo Perkovich lives in New York and was born in 2003.
- Adedayo’s favorite book is The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart.
- She likes jazz, hip-hop, classical, and pop music.
- Adedayo is a member of the Young People’s Chorus of New York City and takes piano and vocal lessons.
- In her spare time, she likes to draw, ice skate, and go to the theater.
“I am interested in social justice issues, and I think that it is important to share people’s stories with the world to help us understand each other more.”
William Russell lives in New York and was born in 2001.
- William’s favorite subject is Social Studies.
- He takes baritone horn, acting, and singing classes.
- William is a member of his school’s band, jazz band, student government, and Junior National Honor Society.
- He wants to be an actor someday.
“I like to interview people and inform them [about] what is going on in the world.”
Julian Targete lives in Massachusetts and was born in 2004.
- Julian’s favorite subjects are Social Studies and Science.
- He enjoys learning about politics and history.
- Julian plays lacrosse and football.
- He thinks that being a Secret Service agent would make for an interesting career.
“I want to keep kids connected to the world and instill a love of following current events.”
Alexis Williams lives in New Jersey and was born in 2001.
- Her favorite book is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.
- At school, Alexis participates in glee club, cheerleading, and gymnastics.
- She is interested in journalism and law.
- Alexis plays the piano, violin, and guitar.
“I love writing, public speaking, and asking questions.”
Abigail Wilson-Kageni lives in Pennsylvania and was born in 2002.
- Abigail’s favorite subject is history.
- She loves learning about Kenya, where her mother was born.
- Her favorite book is I Am Rosemarie by Marietta D. Moskin.
- In her spare time, Abigail likes to read and watch the news.
“I want to help tell the stories of people who can’t get their voices heard.”
Joshua Yi lives in New Jersey and was born in 2003.
- In his spare time, Joshua reads, swims, and plays the cello and piano.
- He is also learning to draw.
- His favorite book is The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.
- Joshua would like to become a biomedical engineer.
“I want to grow more sensitive and more connected to events that happen in my community.”
Juliana Yu lives in New York and was born in 2002.
- Juliana’s favorite subjects are English and Latin.
- In her spare time, Juliana plays tennis and participates in a robotics club.
- She won a Young Writers Award from the New York Society Library in 2014.
- She would like to be a writer or a journalist.
“I love what one can learn, teach, and create with words.”
Krishna Chandrasekhara lives in Texas and was born in 2003.
- Krishna plays the piano, the violin, and traditional Indian drums (tabla).
- In his spare time, he likes to play tennis, swim, and do karate.
- His favorite books are the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling and The Giver by Lois Lowry.
- Krishna wants to become a neurosurgeon.
“Being a Kid Reporter will give me the opportunity to lend an active voice to different organizations and people in my community.”
William “Sam” Davis
Sam Davis lives in Louisiana and was born in 2003.
- Sam is a member of the Student Council and the Safety Patrol at his school.
- In his spare time, he enjoys reading, playing chess and the guitar, and helping with the family garden.
- Sam is an amateur scientist.
- He would like to enter the medical profession.
“Challenge is one of my favorite words.”
Ainsley Felter lives in Virginia and was born in 2001.
- The daughter of a U.S. Air Force Colonel, Ainsley was born in Japan at the Yokota Air Base.
- Her favorite book is The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
- Ainsley wants to be either a teacher or a chef when she grows up.
- She likes to watch TV, listen to music, and bake in her spare time.
“I would love to learn more about unique cultures.”
N’Jhari Jackson lives in Florida and was born in 2002.
- A championship swimmer, N’Jhari is a member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- He has studied Mandarin for the past three years.
- N’Jhari founded a “Boys Read With Pride Book Club” in his community.
- His favorite book is Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations by Alex and Brett Harris.
“Truth without judgment is what I see as good reporting.”
Talia Marshall lives in Virginia and was born in 2000.
- Talia’s favorite subjects in school are Spanish, Orchestra, and English.
- She is a member of the National Junior Honor Society and plays on the junior varsity field hockey team at her school.
- In her spare time, Talia likes to play the Irish fiddle and dance.
- Daredevil reporter Nellie Bly inspires Talia, who wants to become a journalist.
“I’ve been interested in what’s going on in my community and the larger world for as long as I can remember.”
Jordan Mundy lives in North Carolina and was born in 2002.
- Jordan participates in a youth choir and a band in her community.
- Science and Social Studies are among her favorite subjects at school.
- She is a member of the National Junior Honor Society.
- Jordan wants to be an ophthalmologist.
“I look forward to sharing fascinating stories with other young people and maybe inspiring them to improve our world.”
Bobby Sena lives in Florida and was born in 2002.
- Bobby’s favorite subjects in school are civics, science, and chorus.
- He is a member of his school’s student government and honor society.
- Bobby’s older sister, Topanga, is a past member of the Scholastic News Kids Press Corps.
- In his spare time, Bobby enjoys playing golf and spending time with his family.
“I would like to make a difference and help change the world in a positive way.”
Hailey Alvis lives in Iowa and was born in 2002.
- Hailey likes to listen to rock music.
- She is an avid soccer player.
- Social Studies is one of her favorite subjects in school.
- Hailey would like to become a teacher, an engineer, or a writer because “all require great creativity.”
“What I want to learn most is how to be on the other side of a news story, reporting it.”
Justin Cose lives in Illinois and was born in 2001.
- Justin’s favorite book is The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan.
- In his spare time, Justin likes to play video games, cook, and play the piano.
- Justin currently writes a column for his local newspaper.
- Besides writing, he is also interested in filmmaking.
“I have a good eye for finding people who are selfless.”
Benjamin Duckworth lives in Michigan and was born in 2004.
- Benjamin, who is homeschooled, enjoys reading and writing.
- He plays basketball, baseball, football, and soccer, and does karate.
- Benjamin likes spending time with his family in the wilderness, hiking, kayaking, and biking.
- He would like to become a children’s book author and/or President of the United States.
“There are people out there right now who are changing the way we live. I want to be the guy telling their stories.”
Kyra O’Connor lives in Ohio and was born in 2001.
- The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Coifer and Here Where the Sunbeams Are Green by Helen Phillips are among Kyra’s favorite books.
- Kyra is a member of the Girl Scouts of America.
- She plays lacrosse and basketball and runs cross-country.
- Kyra plays several musical instruments, including the viola and Japanese drums (Taiko).
“Everyone in my life has left footsteps, impacting me, changing me, and making me the person I am today.”
Ryan Stoltz lives in Minnesota and was born in 2004.
- Ryan’s favorite book series is Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney.
- Ryan attends a Spanish language immersion school.
- He is a member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Ryan enjoys wakeboarding and playing football.
“I understand how important it is to consider the background and culture of the person you are interviewing in order to connect with them and ask appropriate questions.”
Anika Bruce lives in Utah and was born in 2002.
- Anika founded girls-rock.org, a site for girls to discuss issues that matter to them.
- Her favorite book is Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys.
- Anika does volunteer work in her spare time.
- Her favorite subjects are English Language Arts and History.
“I enjoy meeting new people, and I like seeing how ideas start.”
Erika Hazlett lives in California and was born in 2002.
- Erika plays the viola.
- She is a member of the Girl Scouts of America.
- She has served as a volunteer for several organizations, including the Special Olympics.
- Erika would like to become a speech and language pathologist to help people like her younger sister, who has autism.
“My grandmother [who was a newspaper reporter] instilled in me the importance of paying attention to current events and not being afraid to speak my mind.”
Jeremy Hsiao lives in California and was born in 2003.
- Jeremy, who began to write short stories at the age of 7, has won several awards for his writing.
- He is a computer enthusiast who knows Ruby, Phython, HTML, and CSS.
- Jeremy likes to make and edit videos.
- He wants to become a software engineer.
“I enjoy working with people and love to be around them.”
Julian Ibarra lives in Hawaii and was born in 2004.
- Julian is learning to play the guitar.
- He likes to listen to the music of Coldplay, U2, and Peter Gabriel.
- In his spare time, Julian writes articles for Space Magazine, a newsletter that he created for kids.
- He wants to become an astronaut and would like to travel to Mars.
“I hope to learn more about the art of reporting and how to interact with people all over the country.”
Jack Olsen lives in Arizona and was born in 2002.
- Jack’s favorite book is The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne.
- In his spare time, Jack likes to “think and talk.”
- He is an avid football player.
- Jack might like to become a scientist or an author.
“I have a passion for sharing my ideas, opinions, and news.”
Amyla Posey lives in Colorado and was born in 2003.
- Amyla likes to bake, play basketball, and hang out with friends in her spare time.
- Her favorite subject is English Language Arts.
- She likes the Everyday Angel book series by Victoria Schwab.
- Amyla wants to be a pastry chef someday.
“I care very much about keeping kids safe in school.”
Ruby Roth lives in California and was born in 2002.
- Ruby is a competitive figure skater.
- Her favorite book is The Apothecary by Maile Meloy.
- Ruby likes to write stories in her spare time.
- Her favorite subjects in school are Math and writing.
“I think that writing is the silent way of expressing myself—in silence, more people listen.”
Georgia Limcaoco lives in the Philippines and was born in 2001.
- Georgia is learning to play the piano, sing, and do yoga.
- At her school, she participates in “Drama for a Cause,” a program that brings joy to children in orphanages and hospitals.
- In her spare time, Georgia likes to do arts and crafts.
- She wants to become an actress or an author—or both.
“I love being creative in any way.”
Wendy O-charoenrat lives in Thailand and was born in 2002.
- Wendy plays basketball at her school.
- The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling and The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau are her favorite books.
- Wendy likes to dance and do gymnastics.
- She is fluent in Thai.
“I want to be someone who helps teach children about things they might not have known before.”
Lara Santana lives in Puerto Rico and was born in 2002.
- Lara’s favorite subjects in school are English Literature and Physical Education.
- In her spare time, she likes to listen to the music of One Direction, Justin Timberlake, and Luan Santana.
- Lara, who is fluent in English and Spanish, is learning Portuguese in school.
- She likes to run, dance, write, and read in her spare time.
“I want to do great things, but to be able to accomplish my goals, I need to start now.”